At the start of a brand new year, there is an almost palpable spirit of rebirth and renewal. Most of us feel some sort of motivation to make a fresh start, and do things better as the calendar year comes to a close. Whether or not we actually call them goals or resolutions, most of us are looking to make changes and improvements in our lives.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t take too long for many of us to lose this motivation, and our momentum—especially if ADD is part of the equation! So, if you’re already losing enthusiasm about the things you wanted to do differently before Valentine’s Day is here, take heart! (No pun intended!) The good news is that there really is nothing magical about January 1st. You wake up every single day with a clean slate, and the ability to choose to do things differently than you did the day before. Any day can be the first day toward making significant, lasting changes in your life—even if you’ve tried many times before.
Here are my “rules” for making (and keeping!) goals:
- If you bristle at “goals” and “resolutions,” set Intentions! Words can be very powerful for us. Use words that work for you!
- Choose wisely! The things you intend to change need to be for you, not for someone else. What difference will achieving those changes make for you?
- Go slow, Start Small! Be realistic, and set yourself up for success. Pick 1 to 3 things, max, to focus on, and concentrate on improving behaviors that will get you closer to your goal.
- Expect Obstacles, and Plan for them! You’re going to get stuck. I guarantee it! How you recover is what makes the difference.
- Create motivation anywhere you can! It’s a dopamine thing! Get creative, and know that you’ll need to change those motivation reminders up from time to time as they lose interest and you stop noticing them as much.
- Give yourself permission to be “Imperfect!” Use milestone goals to review and correct your course. Everything can be a learning experience. And, last but not least . . .
- Focus on Progress, not Perfection!
What changes do you want to make? Are you ready to commit? For real this time?
You can make 2015 YOUR best year yet! I’m here and ready to get to work when you are. To book your complimentary phone consultation today, just click here!